Assemblyman McKevitt Informs Residents on Tax Exemptions

December 5, 2007

Assemblyman Tom McKevitt (R,C,I – East Meadow) wants to help all of his constituents receive the benefits they deserve. “My goal as your Assemblyman is to help provide you with an enriched life, and ensure that you receive tax breaks whenever possible,” McKevitt stated.

New York State allows for a Senior Citizens’ Real Property Tax Exemption Program for persons over the age of 65. This exemption program provides reductions of between 5% and 50% on county, town and school taxes. In order to be eligible for this exemption, you must be at least 65 years old, have owned your property for one year or have previously owned property in the State of New York for one year prior to filling out this application. The combined income of all the owners of the premises cannot exceed $32,400. The deadline for this tax exemption is January 2nd 2008.

The Senior Citizens’ Real Property Tax Exemption Program is just one of the tax benefits that are offered by New York State. Senior homeowners who are 65 and whose annual income does not exceed $70,650 are also eligible for Enhanced STAR. This is designed for seniors to receive tax exemptions on school property taxes. In order to receive this benefit, you can obtain an application on-line from, or by calling (516) 571-1500. Applications can no longer be submitted after January 2, 2008.

In addition to the Enhanced STAR for Senior Citizens, also available is the Basic STAR program for all homeowners, regardless of age or income. This also acts as a tax exemption for those who own property and wish to receive reduced school and property taxes. Your school tax bill will state the amount of the STAR exemption and your tax savings. All homeowners must file a Basic STAR application no later then January 2, 2008 with the Nassau County Department of Assessment. Property owners who are granted the Basic STAR Exemption usually do not need to reapply in subsequent years, unless a new deed is filed on the property. You can retrieve the application for Basic STAR also through the website, or by calling (516) 571-1500.

If you have filed for either Enhanced or Basic STAR, you can still apply for the Senior Citizens’ Real Property Tax Exemption.